Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is coming up and we wanted to share some safety tips for trick or treaters and drivers so we ensure ever has a fun time and gets home safe and sound!
Trick or Treaters:
- Costumes should be light-coloured and flame resistant with reflective strips so that children are more easily seen at night. (And remember to put reflective tape on bikes, skateboards, and brooms, too!)
- Keep away from open fires, fireworks and candles. (Costumes can be extremely flammable.)
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to
the left as possible. Children should walk on direct routes with the fewest street crossings.
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Eliminate any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Drive slowly, anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic and turn your headlights on earlier in the day to spot children from greater distances.