Holiday Party Candle Safety
With holiday Christmas party season ramping up and candles being a popular choice for table decorations at parties, we wanted to give you some tips for safe candle use at these events.
We highly recommend the use of battery powered candles and tea lights whenever possible. These eliminate the risk of a fire starting from improper placement next to combustibles, candles being knocked over, left burning unattended, or injuries caused from reaching over candles and hair/clothing catching fire.
If you feel you still want to use traditional candles, please keep in mind the following considerations:
- – Use candle holders that are non-combustible, sturdy and have a protective chimney that extends at least 6”-8” above the top of the flame. This will help avoid items falling on to the candle and/or coming in contact with the flame. (BC Fire Code Requirement)
- – Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn and in locations where people won’t be leaning or reach over them.
- – Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
- – No candles should be located at a kids table.
- – Ensure all candles are extinguished when your party is done.
- – Never move a lit candle. Extinguish it first, move it, then re-light if needed.
We wish for everyone to have a fun and safe holiday Christmas party season!
– GDVFD Team